Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chapter VII - Alternative Blog Post




I chose the game FreeRice which was shown to the class by Olivia. It's a neat little non-profit website that will generously donate ten grains of rice for every question you answer correctly on their site. FreeRice runs off advertisement money they received form sponsors   They offer a multitude of subjects that participants may answer questions in with a variety of different difficulty levels.

As an English teacher I would implement this game (particularly the grammar portion) for students to use in addition to classroom learning. This could aid in reinforcing concepts that I have already taught and might encourage students to continue their education outside of the classroom. I could assign homework with the guidelines that each students shows me a 'receipt' of a pre-set number of rice grains donated. I feel this will be a more entertaining homework assignment than the usual vocab worksheet most teachers might assign. The vocabulary portion could also be used, but I feel would be less helpful because it is much more ambiguous than grammatical concepts. I plan to teach high school but I think this would work better when used with younger children. All the while, I still think anybody could pull something from this great website.

I particularly like the fact that this website serves two ultimate purposes: to educate and to end world hunger. While students are working on their grammar or vocabulary  they can know that their work is actually contributing to help somebody in need.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't you also take advantage of teaching about world hunger (perhaps incorporate in a work of literature being studied) while practicing vocab/grammar and/or for the older students have them create some alternative 'questions' of their own that could either be submitted to FreeRice or used to create their own game....

    ReplyDelete